What I'm sharing with you today is possibly the best popcorn seasoning ever.
Seriously–We LOVE popcorn.
But as a whole foodie family, we do not love the icky chemical fake stuff that most popcorn seasonings are made of.
Well, great things often come as the result of mistakes. That includes great homemade popcorn seasoning recipes. 🙂 Like this one. It just might be the best popcorn seasoning you have ever tasted.
Yes, good things often come from mistakes. Just like Chat Masala, our family's beloved Indian seasoning, which came about when I mistakenly mixed spices in the wrong proportions. (It's amazing and if you haven't tried it yet, hop on over there and do so.)
Well, for you trivia buffs, here is part of an article from Associated Content on other great inventions that were the result of mistakes, one of them being penicillin.
Amongst all of the above mentioned inventions, penicillin is the best invention ever created by a mistake. In 1928 Scientist Alexander Fleming decided to go on a vacation without cleaning his workstation. On returning we saw a strange fungus on some of his cultures. He also noticed that the bacteria didn't thrive close to those cultures. Till today, penicillin is one of the most widely used antibiotics in the world.
Now, I for sure do not expect that my seasoned popcorn “invention” will make it into the next Associated Content article, but I will say that it has been a huge hit wherever it has been served. And I mean it.
How this Homemade Popcorn Seasoning Recipe Came to Be
Wherever we take this popcorn (and we take it EVERYWHERE), people ask us for the recipe. I've even been told it is seriously addictive.
This great popcorn seasoning originated one day when we were preparing popcorn to take to an outing.
We've been avoiding gluten (so pretzels are out of the question [except for the gluten-free ones that cost a small fortune!]) and we avoid MSG type stuff and artificial cheezey flavor that is on simply every variety of Doritoes and such snack foods. Our third-tiered snack food concern is GMO corn.
I am not as hard-lined about this as I am about the other issues that I just mentioned, but I really like to avoid regular corn chips for that reason. So, if we are going somewhere where there will likely be lots of “not OK snack foods”, we often bring our organic popcorn.
Well, you might remember from my Perfect Popcorn Recipe #2 post that we usually top our popcorn with a special blend of Herbes de Provence with added garlic and onion. On this particular day, however, our well had run dry — (meaning our container of popcorn topping was empty) and I mistakenly pulled out a similar container and proceeded to top our popcorn with–
Well, being the Charlie Brown type personality that I can be sometimes, I was quite discouraged, but as it turned out I had come upon a culinary advance for all mankind :-). Surprisingly-Good Popcorn Seasoning was born.
Here's the recipe. You can also visit my post on Vegetable Broth mix for other tips on using the mix and additional time and money saving tips as well.
This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission.
Oh – and in my opinion, the best way to pop popcorn is in a handy dandy crank handle stainless steel popper:
And don't be afraid to experiment in the kitchen!! The results may surprise you!
Where to Buy Quality Spices
Recipe Notes and Substitutions for Homemade Popcorn Seasoning
- Blending: While this recipe is basically just my Homemade Vegetable Broth seasoning on top of popcorn, you definitely want to blend the seasoning before using it on popcorn so that the homemade popcorn seasoning will adhere well. Otherwise, you will have large flakes of rosemary and parsley on your popcorn. Not fun!
- Organic: I highly recommend using only organic popcorn. Almost all corn in the US is GMO, which creates all kinds of problems for your health, so please choose organic. Popcorn is such a reasonable snack, it's not a big deal to spend a little extra on buying organic!
- Avocado Oil: Although you can make the popcorn with either butter or organic coconut oil, I recommend using avocado oil since it has such a high smoke point!
- Thyme: You can try subbing organic thyme for the summer savory, but it will be a tad stronger.
- Oil Topping: Popcorn must be popped with some oil or have a healthy oil spray on it for the seasoning mix to stick. Alternatively, sprinkling with some water works as well but it's a little tough to get the water to work without ending up with soggy popcorn.
- THM: If on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, you need to use air-popped popcorn to make this recipe an “E.” Otherwise, it is a crossover.
Perfect Popcorn Recipe #3 ~ Surprisingly-Good Seasoned Popcorn
Whenever we serve this popcorn, everyone asks for the recipe for this Best Popcorn Seasoning. I came upon it by mistake but it's so great and makes a great all purpose seasoning too!
- Combine all in a small bowl.
- Store in glass or plastic container with a tight fitting lid.
- Stir or shake occasionally before use to redistribute ingredients.
- Simply sprinkle on top of freshly popped popcorn and enjoy!
So, the next time you are hunkering for some yummy organic popcorn, try topping it this way!
More Wholesome Snack Recipes:
What is YOUR favorite healthy snack?