If you love Cheez It Crackers, but you're trying to eat healthier, do I have a treat for you! Here is a great Homemade Vegan Cheez Its® Cracker recipe--a grain & dairy-free version of your favorite childhood cracker, so you can indulge guilt-free!
I just love it when I can remake a processed food into a healthier version, like my "Almond Joy®" Bars, homemade protein bars, powdered sugar substitute, sugar-free lemonade, homemade ketchup, and 5 ingredient salad dressing.
If you're like me, Cheez-Its® were one of the most addictive snacks of your childhood. I can't think of a time that I sat down with a box of those without almost polishing off the entire box.
Or at least more than I should have (ahem).
Anyone else with me?
Hooray for Homemade Vegan Cheez Its!
Well, sort of.
Homemade "Cheez-Its®" that are gluten-free, grain-free and even dairy-free, with a vegan option.
Now that's something to get excited about!
What is Nutritional Yeast
Have you heard about nutritional yeast?
It's a mystery to some but a staple for many -- particularly for those who are vegans or are allergic to dairy.
It gives a really nice cheesy-nutty flavor to dishes, sans the milk.
We've used it in our home for years, since my son was born with a life-threatening milk allergy. Until we found nutritional yeast, our son had never had cheese sauce, grilled cheese, pizza with cheese --- anything like that.
Imagine how thrilled he was to have his first Dairy-Free Grilled Cheese and "Cheeze" Sauce that he could dip things into.
He was the happiest dairy-free camper that you can imagine.
And nutritional yeast doesn't feed candida, so if that is a concern (which it is for us), you should be fine eating it. However, there are some people with who seem to react to it due to the fact that their systems are so sensitized to yeast from the proliferation of yeast in their system.
Besides these Homemade Keto Cheez Its, we have several favorite recipes using nutritional yeast:
Other Recipes Using Nutritional Yeast
and Kate (the author of this recipe) has a few tempting ones as well:
When you are on a special diet, having healthy snacks around is one of the biggest challenges I have found. It's fairly easy to pull off meals, but when the kids (or adults) are clamoring for something to eat, and the typical cheese sticks, crackers, cereal, cookies, and such aren't an option, you need to have easy to grab replacements.
These healthy crackers are a great solution to that problem.
These Homemade Paleo Cheez Its Crackers are so good - they'll satisfy your craving for crunchy cheesy goodness without the refined flours, grains, and even without dairy!
- Good options for an egg substitute include my Powdered Egg Replacer as well as a flax or chia egg.
- This is an "S" for those on the Trim Healthy Mama plan.
The nutrition values below were calculated using egg and butter.
Homemade Cheez Its - grain and dairy free with vegan option
- Combine flour, salt and yeast in a bowl
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg with the melted butter/oil and lemon juice
- Combine the wets with the dries and stir until dough forms
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into desired cracker size (I use a ruler with a pizza slicer to get them straight and even) and sprinkle the top with more sea salt
- Slide the bottom piece of parchment and crackers onto a cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 from 12-15 minutes until golden
- The outer crackers will brown the fastest, remove those and continue to cook the remaining crackers
Kate Criswell is a Fitness Trainer and Nutrition Coach who loves spending time in the kitchen tweaking recipes to make them healthier yet still satisfying and delicious. For more of her grain-free recipes and tips, visit Kate’s Healthy Cupboard at www.kateshealthycupboard.com.