It’s fall, which means it’s time for pumpkin everything. If you’re anything like me, you’ve found yourself bookmarking or printing a number of of mouth-watering pumpkin recipes. I plan to make and share some soon (like pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pie and pumpkin muffins) :-).
In order to get us all ready for that, and to help you with your pumpkin baking needs, I’m sharing today my recipe for Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Like I shared with you in my post on Do It Yourself – Homemade Seasoning Blends, making your own seasoning blends has several benefits:
- save money – spice blends cost more than single spices
- save money – do it yourself instead of making another trip to the store
- better health – avoid questionable additives and flavor enhancers in some blends
- save money – buy spices in bulk since you will use them up more quickly
- family fun – it’s a simple thing your kids can help you with in the kitchen
Well, this Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe is no different.
Around Thanksgiving and Christmas, we tend to make a lot of pumpkin pies. I have a great healthy recipe (that I promise I will share with you soon) and we love it so much that I bake a whole bunch at once (it tastes great frozen!) My kids eat it for snacks and even for breakfast (Yes, we eat some funny things for breakfast around here – like bean fudge :-).) Well, when you bake a whole bunch of pumpkin pies at once, you are bound to run out of Pumpkin Pie Spice. So here is the solution:
Makes enough to fill a standard 2 oz spice jar.
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
4 teaspoons ground ginger
3 teaspoons ground cloves
If you running short of any of the above spices (so you can’t make the whole batch), or just need enough to get through one recipe, here is what you need to make enough for 1 5/8 tsp, about enough for one pie (depending on your recipe, of course :-)!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Stir well to combine.
3. Store in an air-tight container.
That’s it! You are now armed and ready for a pumpkin-baking fest (like I hope to have here soon). Next up : Yummy Soft Pumpkin Cookies!
Want to try your hand at some of my other handy-dandy spice recipes? How about:
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Do It Yourself All-Purpose Seasoning | Vegetable Broth Mix
- Chat Masala (a really wonderful Indian spice mix that we put on [almost] everything!)
What is your favorite pumpkin recipe or a new one that you are going to try?
Or a Do It Yourself seasoning blend request?
Shared at Diet Dessert, N Dogs