These Oat Bran Muffins are a healthy way to get more fiber into your diet, plus they taste great! For years these have been a favorite in our home, and now I get to share them with all of you!
While I like to have my kids eat veggies for snacks as much as possible, I try to have other healthy snacks on hand as well.
And I hope you will too.
Oat Bran Muffins – the Flexible & Forgiving Family Favorite
That's a lot of “F”‘s in there! Flexible, Forgiving, Family, and Favorite.
In our household we go back and forth between making these oat bran muffins sweetened and unsweetened. Either version is delicious.
You really can't mess up this recipe. In fact the last time I made them I added too much liquid and added no sweetener or vanilla or cinnamon.
I had to cook them a bit longer since they were more moist, but my kids said that they tasted better than usual! And with no sweetener – imagine that!
You can, of course, make them like real muffins, but I am often too busy to clean out those muffin tins so I either make them with a cookie scoop as in the photo above, or just spooned onto a cookie sheet or baking stone and baked free form.
Basically they end up like homemade muffin tops done that way :-).
These oat bran muffins are just great. They are simple, but have a very pleasant heartiness that is truly very appealing and satisfying.
One, I made both these and my Baked Oatmeal Cake (which I consider to be a really yummy treat) and my youngest asked for these (instead of the cake) almost every time it was time for a snack :-).
*In order to counteract the phytates in the oat bran, I typically plan to make these a day or half a day in advance and soak the bran (see my post on soaking grains).
Recipe Notes and Substitutions for Oat Bran Muffins
- Multiple Batches: I almost always bake multiple batches of everything. In the case of these muffins, I double or triple the recipe and mix the oat bran and liquids in a bowl (and sweeteners, if using), then add 1 Tbsp lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar or about 1 tsp of vitamin C powder to the mix and let it all soak for at least 7 – 12 hours. Then proceed with the recipe.
- Dry Ingredients: Of course, you will not have a bowl of dry ingredients, but you can just add everything to the soaked bran and bake as instructed. You can read more about how to soak grains here.
There's lots of new info coming out on this so stay tuned.
- Baking Powder: If you would like to make your own baking powder, see my Aluminum and Corn-Free Baking Powder – Do It Yourself.
- Egg Substitute: My Powdered Egg Replacer is a great option for a homemade egg substitute.
- Glycerine: You may use another liquid sweetener for the vegetable glycerine, and you may use a granulated sweetener, but if using a granulated sweetener see my post on How to Substitute Sweeteners.
- Coconut Oil: Butter, organic ghee, or organic palm shortening may be substituted for the coconut oil.
- THM: For those on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, this recipe is a crossover.
Oat Bran Muffins (low carb, gluten free with sugar-free option)
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked organic oat bran
- 2 t baking powder
- 1-2 t salt (I use 2 tsp but some think that's too much. Start with 1 to see how you like it)
- 2 t organic cinnamon (omit for unsweetened version)
- 2 eggs or equivalent substitute
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2/3 cup vegetable glycerine (omit for unsweetened version)
- 2 t vanilla extract (omit for unsweetened version)
- 4 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add wets to dries and then add nuts if using.
- Put into greased muffin tins (mini or regular size) or for a simpler option (my favorite....cleaning muffin tins is one of my least favorite jobs in the kitchen :-)) simply place on a prepared cookie sheet or baking stone.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes until the middles are pretty well set.
Looking for other “sure to satisfy” baked whole grain treats (all with special diet options)? How about:
– Baked Oatmeal Cake (mentioned above)
– Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
– Soft Pumpkin Cookies (these taste interestingly like Enjoy Life Brand)
– Super Quick Whole Grain Drop Biscuits
– Buckwheat Pancakes (great for “on the fly” sandwiches!)