Herbes de Provence is a popular spice blend with so many applications. Here are 4 simple DIY recipes so that you can easily make your own!
What is Herbes de Provence, you ask?
Herbes de Provence is
It is typically used on fish or meat before cooking or grilling and sometimes is used in vegetable stews.
But on this blog, perhaps as on none other, Herbes de Provence is the building block for probably the best popcorn recipe ever.
As I've mentioned in my posts on Herbes de Provence Popcorn and Special Seasoning Popcorn, we take our homemade organic popcorn to all kinds of gatherings, and are always asked, "What's on this popcorn!" and "Can you please give us the recipe?!"
Anyhow, you can read the story behind how we started putting French herbs on our popcorn over on the Herbes de Provence Popcorn post. And now you can make your own topping totally from scratch!
Of course, you can buy your own pre-mixed Herbes de Provence spice mix if you prefer (I recommend Frontier as a great source for organic spices), but making your own Homemade Seasoning Blends just has so many benefits that I think it is the way to go. By making your own seasoning blends, you can:
- Save money (the bends cost a ton more than individual spices. I guess the spice mixer folks get paid a lot of money :-).)
- Save time
- Have fun in the kitchen (this is something that you can certainly do with your kids!
Herbes de Provence Recipes
Now, there are a number of different Herbes de Provence recipes to choose from. I've used several and haven't found much variation in the flavor, mainly because I'm using it mainly for our popcorn topping and I just have never found it to taste anything but great! Whenever I run out, I just look at the different recipes and pick one based on what I have.
If there's an ingredient that I happen to be missing, I pick a blend that works and run with it. I do, however, prefer to use one of the blends with lavender if I have the dried lavender, as it seems to be a bit more authentic tasting to me.
Also, the blend that has all proportions the same, is one that I've steered away from simply because it seems -- well, too simplistic.
- The method for each of these mixes is the same. Simply combine all ingredients in a bowl and store in an airtight container.
- If you prefer, you may process the herbs to a finer ground in a coffee grinder or food processor.
The first version makes about the amount of a regular-sized spice jar, while the other three make a bit more.
And for those of you who really love popcorn, be sure to check out:
- Basic Popcorn
- Special Seasoning Popcorn
- Nut Buttery Popcorn (a healthy alternative to caramel corn)
For More Homemade Seasoning Blends, how about:
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Mild Curry Powder
- Homemade Vegetable Broth Mix (Bouillon) | All Purpose Seasoning
- Chat Masala (a truly wonderful Indian spice that is on our table all. the. time.)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
So - do you have a favorite seasoning blend or popcorn topping?
If you have a seasoning blend you'd like me to find a DIY recipe for, please do share!