Why I Don't Buy Feminine Products Anymore
UPDATE: Amber, the former owner of Peepods, has since sold her company. Her products are now only available on Amazon. All of the links that used to link to Peepods will now link to Amber's products on Amazon.
Naturally Simple is now Peepods. Same great products--new name!)
A number of years ago, if you would have told me that I would have been writing a post about reusable feminine products (a.k.a. period pads), I would have thought that you were crazy.
Like so many other things in my life, things have changed and I've had to change my mind.
So here I am to tell you what's great about washable cloth pads, why I use them, which ones I use and - how you can get some for free!
Think the idea is gross? Please read on and don't give up on me yet!
Like so many things in my life, I've had to change my tune - admit that I was wrong - eat crow - whatever you like to call it.
I've shared about some of these "change my tune" situations before.
- A Skeptic Looks at Essential Oils
- Healthy & Beautiful Hair Easily - Lilla Rose Review
- Could You Have Heavy Metal Poisoning and Not Know It?
Well, here I am again to say that I was wrong. Again.
Years ago I used to think that reusable / sustainable feminine products were icky.
Maybe some of you think the idea is icky too.
Well, I am here to tell you:
- why you should consider using reusable feminine products
- about a great company that has a wonderful product
- how to get some free and/or discounted feminine products
Why You Should Use Reusable Feminine Products (Period Pads)
After years of thinking about it, here are my thoughts now about why reusable feminine products are the way to go.
1. They make even more sense than cloth diapers. If you're in natural parenting circles at all, cloth diapers are all the rage. Much moreso than when I started cloth diapering my oldest. At first I thought they were icky, but then I realized that dumping products that won't deteriorate into a landfill (with my child's waste on it) was really the icky thing.
When you think about it, we're talking blood here. Not #2. So - if you can handle cloth diapering, you can handle this.
2. Save a TON of money. There are all kinds of numbers on the internet about how much money one can spend on disposable feminine products, and of course it will depend on your usage. But this site estimates the cost at over $13 a month, with costs varying depending on what is counted (pads, tampons, or more). At that price, you can pay for an entire set of washable menstrual pads in a pretty short time. And you should be able to use these for years.
3. Save the environment. I always cringed throwing away disposable diapers when I first started diapering my son. As the years passed, the cringing carried over to whenever I had my period. I really don't like throwing anything away, but especially something that I need to use over and over again. We'll talk later about paper towels, plastic silverware and all of that stuff. Basically, I don't use any of it.
4. Easy to use! You just use them, rinse, soak in water and wash in a wash bag with the rest of your wash. Super simple! And Naturally Simple gives you great washing and use information with your purchase. Make sure you read it (someone you know didn't and ended up with a little problem -- not saying who :-).)
Introducing Naturally Simple
Awhile ago I began thinking about trying out washable menstrual pads. I was getting fed up with throwing used pads away every month. All that plastic and the wrappers and the stuff that soaks up the liquid. I kept thinking of them like I was thinking about disposable diapers. The overflowing landfills and my emptying wallet.
So I started poking around at different companies online, trying to find one that had what I wanted:
- reasonable prices
- durable products
- attractive designs (every woman likes to feel pretty, right?)
- a company willing to work with me
I had a few bumps in the road during my searching. Either the company wouldn't work with me, or their products looked inferior, or the company had a name that I wasn't thrilled about promoting (yeah, I can be picky about some things :')).
One day I got a surprise in the form of a Facebook message. A fellow blogger was friends with a company looking to work with a blogger to advertise their cloth pads.
One look at them and I was hooked!
I got in contact with Amber of Naturally Simple and she provided me with a great assortment of several sizes of pads and a handy dandy wash bag and a waterproof carrying bag - and well, the rest is history.
What I like about Naturally Simple
1. Their products work great. I have used them for several months now and I am just thrilled. No leaks, even at nighttime. The waterproof bag (for when you are out and about) works great, the wash bag is sturdy and they have newly designed pads with adjustable snaps to keep the pads in place. (I really couldn't believe that there was no leaking at nighttime. :-)!)
2. They are sturdy. I have seen a lot of pads and tried one other brand. Now, I haven't used these for that long, but they seem to be much more durable than the others that I have personally seen and tried.
3. They are beautiful. I know it sounds ridiculous, but when I received my cloth pads in the mail, I was just thrilled. And now, since I am using these pads, I don't view my menstrual cycle as so much of an imposition any longer. I mean, I get to wear something extra that is pretty once a month :-).
4. They are made from good fabrics & they have a consumer friendly policies. From Naturally Simple's site:
"The layer closest to your skin is a super-soft flannel. The wing fabric is sewn with high-quality quilting cottons that are beautiful and durable. Our design is simply one functional piece - no fussy inserts or flaps to deal with! All our flannels and cottons have been pre-washed to eliminate color transfer while washing. We are committed to a standard of excellence and offer a six month snap and seam guarantee on all of our pads and accessories."
Look at how pretty these patterns are:
Naturally Simple Peepods Cloth Pad Giveaway & Sale
First, the giveaway:
Amber of Naturally Simple is offering 2 great prizes:
1. A Deluxe Set of Pads and accessories (in your choice of colors - their pads are available in cranberry, espresso, or plum (I chose the espresso) with coordinating wing fabrics. The Deluxe Set includes: 1 night pad, 2 day pads, 3 panty liners, a Planet Wise wet bag and a laundry bag. ($68 value!)
2. One set of 3 pantyliners ($22 value). This set is great for someone who would like to continue to use tampons, uses a Diva Cup, or someone who would just like to give cloth pads a try.
(The pantyliners are pictured above.)
To enter the giveaway, just follow the instructions in the Rafflecopter widget here. (read what it says to do and then click "do it" when you have "done it" :).
Make sure you read the directions of what you need to put in the comment when you comment :-).
You have until 12:01 am, EST 11/19 to enter. Open worldwide!
Do you use - or have you thought about using washable pads?
Hi, Adrienne, I read your post, like the idea and went to their website to order one Deluxe set on Feb 02. However, I haven't received the order until now., and I got no response after using their web form to contact them. Do you know their contact number? Thanks.
I am so sorry. I just found out that she sold the business but she said she will take care of you. May I share your email with her?
I really appreciate your response, I almost thought it was a fraud.
I am sorry to hear that the business was sold. Please feel free to share my email with her. I am still interested in trying this product. Or at least I can get a refund.
Thanks again for you assistance. Love your blog too.
Thanks so much. I am emailing her. I have to change the post so others know.
I followed your link from another website and glad I did. Quite interesting, I did not know that cloth feminine pads were available, guess you learn something new everyday. I am a post menopausal woman with incontinence and used to use a thin maxi pad on a daily basis; wish I had known about the Peepods back then. While I don’t need to use a maxi pad everyday, as I have strengthened my bladder muscles through core exercises, I do still need to use one occasionally when running. I will definitely check these Peepods out. And, my daughter is into all natural everything; I will turn her on to the Peepods as well. Thanks for the post on the other site that brought me here.
I no longer have a period, but I am incontinet . Does she have pads for that. I now use maxium Tena pads. I go thru at least two a day. thanks
Yes, she does. They are gorgeous. Check out her site and there are many to choose from. I'd love to hear what you think!
I love using cloth diapering for my baby but never thought about using reusable pads. I have used the Diva Cup for years and loved it but I am intrigued after reading your blog post. I just found your page and am really excited to follow-I too am a natural minded mama 🙂
Welcome! You would love them!
Adrienne, thank you so much! I chose the plum deluxe set for my daughter. Now to persuade her to give them a try... 🙂 I'm long past menses so I don't need the pads but I might just try the panty liners before she even knows these are in the house...just so *I* know how they feel. 🙂
Do you think she will? They are WONDERFUL!
These are great! I would like the Deluxe starter set in Plum.
I would love the day pads in cranberry!
It's interesting. I have never really heard of. Interested in mostly the pantiliners. But more I think about it the more interesting it sounds.
I would like to try the night pad in Espresso.
These are great! I would definitely try the deluxe starter kit of the postpartum pads as I'm having my first baby in March. I would must rather use these than the awful mattress sized pads I'll get from the hospital.
I would love to try cloth. I tried a Diva Cup and hated it, so I've been reluctant to spend any more money on feminine products in the fear that I won't like them. Thanks for the giveaway!
Whoops, forgot to add that I'd like to try the day pads in plum!
starter kit in espresso!
I'd love to try these ! I'd get the deluxe starter set in espresso.
I would love the Deluxe Starter Postpartum Pads in espresso.
I'd like to try the night pad in espresso. Clever colors (rather than light, springy colors).
Thanks for hosting this giveaway and for all the free books you had on your site today, have saved alot of money on e-books from your site!