Got dry lips? I sure do.
Dry lips, chapped lips, peeling lips. You name it.
Enter – my Natural Lip Scrub to the rescue.
Awhile ago I shared with you my recipe for a Homemade Sugar Scrub.
It works wonders for dry hands, feet, elbows, knees. Anywhere your skin needs a little renewing.
But today I am going to share a recipe for a Natural Lip Scrub.
I’ve had this recipe for quite awhile but had completely forgotten about it for some reason.
Until the other day.
My lips were having a bad day — Make that a bad week.
They had been peeling for awhile and it was getting really annoying.
I am not sure what all causes this but dry lips have plagued me my whole life.
(And yes, I drink a lot of water. I have noticed that if I am struggling with candida, then my lips tend to suffer afterwards, but regardless, my lips are typically dry.)
I suddenly remembered that I had some of this scrub stashed in my cabinet so I went and grabbed it and rubbed some of it on my suffering lips.
A few minutes later – and — ta da! All the peeling was gone. And what was left was soft lips that felt as smooth as a baby’s skin. Really!
And one very happy momma. It may sound silly, but I feel a little self-conscious when my lips are peeling. Anyone else feel that way?
Anyway, while I am sure my Homemade Sugar Scrub would work on your lips, this nourishing recipe is something special.
I got it from Michelle, who is the sweet fiance of one of our local pro hockey players. Here’s a link to her post where I got this ingenius idea. And if you would like a peak into the life of a blossoming pro hockey player, you can check out her other posts as well :-)!
Back to the scrub.
Here is the super simple recipe.
The sugar provides the exfoliating, while the oil and honey hold everything together while providing moisture and nourishment to your lips.
Natural Lip Scrub
1 part honey (or other liquid sweetener. Vegetable glycerine is great for those with candida.)
1 part granulated sweetener (See notes.)
1 part olive oil (other great oils would be jojoba, almond, or even coconut oil)
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Apply a small amount to lips.
3. Rub gently into lips for a few seconds or up to two minutes.
4. If time allows, let the mixture remain on lips for a minute or two.
5. Wipe off gently with a warm, damp cloth (or you can just lick it all off, right :-)?)
6. Store the excess in a closed container.
7. Enjoy your smooth, soft, healthier lips :-)!
- I used brown sugar just because I had some left from my sugar eating days :-). Use xylitol or erythritol to stay completely away from candida-feeding stuff.)
- Store in fridge to lengthen shelf life. The shelf life will depend on the type of oil you use. Just give it a sniff before you use it and if it smells rancid, discard.
I think this would make a fabulous Homemade gift (think Christmas, which is coming up! Paired with my Homemade Sugar Scrub this would be great! I photographed mine in a re-used lip balm container. Anything smallish like that would work great! I tried to find the exact container that I used, but it was pretty hard to find. Here is the lip gloss on Amazon so if you really want the same thing you can get it.
Interested in other Natural Personal Care Items? How about:
Do you suffer from rough lips too? (Please tell me I’m not the only one!)