Whole New Mom - https://wholenewmom.com
VEGAN PRIMAVERA WITH EGGPLANT 'NOODLES'
This Vegan Pasta Primavera is just the thing for pasta lovers on a special diet--It's Grain free, Paleo, & Vegan, and the eggplant noodles give it a nutritious and fun twist!
- 2 eggplants (medium sized - see alternatives for AIP)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or grass-fed butter)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1/2 red pepper (or yellow; medium sized) (omit for AIP)
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 carrots (medium; ribboned with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 large tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup kale (chopped, loosely packed)
- 1/2-3/4 cup water (more water if you like a thinner sauce)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit for AIP)
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence (or italian seasoning blend)
- fresh parsley (to taste; or fresh basil; optional)
- parmesan (or vegan cheese blend - see Recipe Notes; omit for AIP)
Julienne the eggplant creating the spaghetti noodles. (Process the eggplant until you start to see seeds.)
Toss the vegetable noodles with the salt (use your hands), place them in a sieve, and place the sieve in an empty bowl.
Allow the vegetable noodles to sit and 'sweat' for at least 20 minutes.
Place the noodles into a cotton dishtowel and squeeze the excess moisture from them. They will look something like second photo of eggplant noodles above.
Saute noodles in a bowl of coconut oil for about 5 minutes to eliminate the raw taste. Set aside until the sauce is complete.
Heat the oil or butter in a deep skillet.
Add in the onion and bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes, and add the garlic and mushrooms.
Cook until most of the water from the mushrooms evaporates--about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato, red pepper flakes, salt, and herb blend, and let it cook for a minute or two.
Add the water and bay leaf and bring the pan to a simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the milk and the arrowroot in a separate cup.
Add the milk mixture, peas, and kale into the hot skillet and combine.
Once the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the optional parsley and/or basil.
Pour over your eggplant, zucchini, or whole grain noodles.
Top with parmesan or vegan cheese blend and enjoy!
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 951mg | Potassium: 975mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 6894IU | Vitamin C: 50mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 18g