Whole New Mom - https://wholenewmom.com
Low-Carb Thai Coconut Chicken Soup
Servings: 6 bowls
This Low-Carb Thai Chicken Soup is a great one-pot meal to warm you inside out this winter! It's paleo, gluten free, and dairy free too!
- 2 chicken breasts (use pre-cooked chicken to save time)
- 1000 ml coconut milk (or 4 cups)
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves (these can be dried or fresh. See Recipes Notes for substitution)
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass (or 5 grams) (freshly cut)
- 1-2 inches fresh galangal (or to taste) (cut into thin slices)
- 2-3 cups homemade bone broth
- 1 tablespoon quality fish sauce (or 15 ml)
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 cup mushrooms (fresh sliced)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- red chili pepper paste (or fresh chili pepper - optional)
- salt (to taste)
Bring the bone broth in the pot to medium heat.
Add the fresh galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
While the broth is cooking, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and then add to the broth.
Add the fish sauce and mushrooms. Add the coconut milk. Cut the large red pepper into strips and add to the soup.
Stir all of the ingredients together.
Cook medium to medium-low for 15-20 minutes checking periodically that the soup doesn’t boil over.
Check the soup for taste. Add salt if needed.
After the soup has cooked 15-20 minutes, add the frozen peas. Stir together.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro and chili paste to taste. This soup is traditionally paired with white rice, but you can opt for something grain-free like cauliflower rice.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 377mg | Potassium: 823mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 829IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 6mg | Net Carbs: 9g