Whole New Mom - https://wholenewmom.com
Baked Oatmeal (or Oatmeal Cake) (gluten-free with vegan and sugar-free options)
Course: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, THM:S, Vegan
Keyword: gluten-free oatmeal cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Soaking Time: 1 day
Total Time: 1 day 55 minutes
This Gluten-free Oatmeal Cake is so simple and healthy, you'll love how easy it is to make and your family will love the hearty, not-too-sweet taste.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 4 cups coconut milk (see Recipe Notes for alternatives)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (optional) or lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or other sweetener as desired)
- 3/32 teaspoon stevia extract (or other sweetener as desired--see Recipe Notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute--see Recipe Notes)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup fresh or dried fruit (optional)
- cinnamon "sugar" (optional - for topping--see my post on Healthier Cinnamon "Sugar")
Mix oats, milk, and sweetener(s) in a large bowl. Combine well.
If soaking to remove phytates, add acid medium (apple cider vinegar or lemon juice).
Soak either overnight (for a more baked oatmeal-type dish) or for at least 24 hours (for an Oatmeal Cake) at room temperature. Make sure to read the instructions about How to Soak Grains.
Add remaining ingredients, saving baking powder and egg substitute (if using) until last.
If using nuts and/or dried or fresh fruit, put half of the nuts and fruit in the bottom of a greased 8x8 square baking dish.
Pour the batter onto the nuts and fruit (or directly into the prepared dish if not using the nuts and fruit).
Top with the remaining nuts and/or fruit if desired.
Top with cinnamon sugar if desired.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, or until the middle of the cake is set.
Serve either warm, with additional cinnamon sugar, nuts, fruit and milk, whipped cream or yogurt. Alternatively, eat at room temperature like a regular cake.
Store in the refrigerator in a closed container or freeze for a longer shelf life.
Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 289mg | Potassium: 477mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 55IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 5.2mg | Net Carbs: 19g