Cream of Rice Cereal (Rice Porridge)
This Cream of Rice Cereal is a delicious and simple homemade gluten-free alternative to Cream of Wheat.
- 1 cup uncooked rice (I prefer to use brown rice)
- 4 1/2 cups water (or alternative--see Recipe Notes)
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional--see Recipe Notes)
- Optional toppings (see Recipe Notes)
Grind rice coarsely in a blender or coffee grinder.
Heat liquid over medium hit to a slow boil.
Add rice gradually, stirring while adding.
Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes, until thickened.
Make sure to check the pan while the cereal is cooking, and stir it occasionally. Add more liquid if needed to keep it from sticking to the pan.
Serve with desired toppings.
- Watch the pan when cooking the cereal. If necessary, add more liquid to keep the cereal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- You can boost the nutritive value of this dish by soaking the rice overnight. See this post on Soaking Grains - the Why and the How for more information.
- Rice: You can use any variety you choose. I prefer whole grain. If you use white rice it will cook much faster, but you will be giving up the fiber and nutrition of the bran and germ. White rice has a higher glycemic index as well.
- Salt: I mention in the recipe card that salt is optional. For me, it most certainly is not. Try it with a dash and you'll see what I mean. It accents the sweetener and the cereal isn't the same without it.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 452mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg