This Powdered Vegetable Broth Recipe is incredibly delicious and wholesome with none of the additives of store bought broth cubes and packets. Plus it makes a great All-Purpose Homemade Seasoning to boot!
The Vegetable Broth Powder that I'm sharing today is literally one of our favorite recipes of all time. It's great as a substitute for any recipe that calls for broth, but also doubles as a fantastic all-purpose seasoning.
I love making my own homemade seasonings. By making your own celery salt, curry powder, taco seasoning, and more, you can be in control of the ingredients you use while you save money over buying pre-mixed containers at the store.
While I am quite the fan of stock and just made homemade turkey stock a few weeks ago, I am trying to be balanced and I do not always have time to make stock, nor can I justify the expense of purchasing boxed stock all the time. However, I am considering it. This is one area of my family's menu planning where I am still sorting out what to do.
This is, instead, a recipe for your own vegetable broth powder.
In my mother's pantry there were those terrible little fake orange colored vegetable broth powder cubes with a plethora of ingredients (including MSG and hydrolyzed lot of stuff) that would make any self-respecting person-in-search-of-a-healthier-lifestyle's hair stand on end.
When we moved to Michigan I started purchasing organic vegetable broth cubes and powders by the case in order to save a bit of money while keeping the convenience of the mix.
One day, however, it occurred to me that I could probably make my own vegetable broth powder. In fact, this is how my brain usually works.
I look at a food or personal care item and wonder if there might be a way that I could make it myself. Sometimes I am right and I find a great new project. Sometimes I am able to make something myself, but it isn't worth the time or money. Sometimes I'm just stuck with what I can buy.
The vegetable broth mix attempt was a winner, though I must say that I have another idea in mind to make it better and healthier, but it will be awhile before I try it. I will be sure to share the results once I do.
I spent some time and tried a few recipes until I found one that I really liked on cdkitchen.com. It has been in my pantry ever since and I recommend that you put it in yours as well.
You can use this vegetable broth powder to not only make vegetable broth, but also as an all-purpose seasoning. I love it on vegetables, meats, basically anything savory…even on popcorn!
I really prefer to make my own seasonings whenever I can. It allows flexibility and control over the ingredient proportions but also has you keeping fewer raw ingredients in your pantry.
You'll also use your spices up more quickly, so they're less likely to go stale.
You can also take advantage of bulk discounts by purchasing your spices in larger quantities, knowing that you will be using them up more quickly. Read my post on Homemade Seasoning Blends to find out more.
What You Will Need for this Homemade Vegetable Broth:
- Celery Salt (see Homemade Celery Salt and How to Use It)
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Savory (use summer savory — not the winter variety. If necessary, you can substitute thyme, marjoram, or sage)
- Dried Marjoram
- Dried Thyme
- Ground Sage
Recipe Notes and Substitutions for Vegetable Broth Powder
- Teaspoon: Store a small measuring teaspoon in your container so that you are not continually washing a rewashing the same spoon as I use this mixture so often. (See my post on saving time with tools for more ideas for your spoons!)
- Multiple Batches: Make this in 2-3 batches at a time. Again, saves preparation time.
- Celery Salt: Here's how to make Homemade Celery Salt.
- Savory Substitutes: If you can't find savory, you can try subbing thyme or thyme plus a little rosemary. I haven't tried it but I've read it's a decent substitution.
- Spice Brand: Where do I buy my spices? Most of my spices are Frontier brand.
- AIP: For AIP, try making Homemade Celery Salt using celery leaves instead of seeds and omit the pepper.
Vegetable Broth Mix Recipe | All-Purpose Seasoning
- 4 Tbsp organic celery salt
- 4 Tbsp dried organic parsley flakes
- 2 Tbsp organic garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground organic savory (use summer savory -- not the winter variety. If necessary, you can substitute thyme, marjoram, or sage)
- 2 tsp dried organic marjoram
- 2 tsp dried organic thyme
- 1 tsp organic pepper
- 1 tsp organic turmeric
- 1 tsp ground organic sage
- Combine all in a small bowl. Store in glass or plastic container with a tight fitting lid. Stir or shake occasionally before use to redistribute ingredients.
- Use 1 tsp mix plus one cup of water to make 1 cup of broth in a recipe. You may substitute this for chicken broth/bouillon in recipes as well. 1 tsp is the equivalent of 1 bouillon cube.