Posted by https://wholenewmom.com/whole-new-budget/homemade-protein-bars/
© 2011 Whole New Mom. All rights reserved.
Grain-Free No-Bake Homemade Protein Bars
This Homemade Vegan Protein Bar Recipe is one of our favorites - Grain-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free and soy-free homemade protein bars--great for special diets.
- Place nuts or seeds, flax meal, coconut, seed or nut butter and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until the nuts or seeds are ground into a coarse meal.
- Melt coconut oil over low heat. If the temperature of your home is around 76 degrees, you can skip this step and add the oil directly to the food processor as it will be soft enough to process easily.
- Add coconut oil, sweeteners and vanilla to processor bowl and process until well combined to form a thick, yet crunchy paste.
- Press the mixture into an 8x8 square pan (you can be quite flexible here. A 9x9 will work just fine. A larger pan will produce thin bars, while a smaller pan will yield thicker ones)
- Place in refrigerator to chill.
- While bars are chilling, prepare Homemade Chocolate / Carob Bar, but don't harden it.
- Top bars with the Homemade Bar. Alternatively, use your own or my Homemade Chocolate / Carob Chips before melting, or melt and top with those.
- Press the topping onto the chilled bottom layer.
- Place back in refrigerator to chill (if you can wait that long :-)!)
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in refrigerator.
- *I also have used xylitol and erythritol. Here's where to buy xylitol and erythritol.