I love interacting with my readers on my blog, but I also like interacting on Facebook.
(I’m not much of a Twitter gal, so at least for now you probably don’t want to try too hard to keep in touch with me there :-). What do you think about Twitter, by the way?)
Anyway, I don’t know if you’ve heard about it, but Facebook has made some changes recently that have made it:
- easier for them to make money
- harder for fans to stay in touch with the pages of those whom they “like”
- get the latest special diet recipes
- DIY substitute for processed foods and toxic products (like Powdered Egg Replacer, DIY Chocolate Chips and Homemade Taco Seasoning. For a bunch of great posts along this line, see my Top 10 DIY posts from 2011
- get in on the latest giveaways
- talk about all kinds of health issues like Did Vaccines Cause My Child’s Autism?, How a Mercury Filling Almost Took My Son’s Life, and Could You Have Metal Poisoning and Not Know It?
Basically what they’ve done is made it so that only a limited number of fans actually get updates from the pages that they have “liked.”
How many fans do you think really get to see the Facebook updates of their “liked” pages?
Hmmm….that’s not very many :-(. In order for Pages to have their posts go out to more fans, now we need to pay money to promote our posts. Not a great option for most of us who aren’t rolling in the dough.
I don’t know about you, but when I like a page it’s because I would like to stay in touch with the company and find out what is going on.
Anyway, I’ve been perusing the internet to find out how to change that and now I can show you how you can stay in touch with me (:-))–and with other pages that you “like”.
Here is how to make sure that you can stay in touch with me and Whole New Mom, and also with all of the other great pages that you “like”.
1. Go to Facebook and find my Whole New Mom Facebook fanpage.
- Make sure you have “liked” my page. That’s a given, right :-).
- “Hover over” the “Liked” button (position your computer’s cursor over the “Liked” button) at the top right of the Whole New Mom Facebook fan page and then a handy dandy little drop down menu will show up there.
- Click on “Show in News Feed”. Technically, this should take care of putting Whole New Mom updates up front in your news feed, but like all things techy and Facebook-ey…..that’s not the case. So stick with me and follow the remaining steps to make sure we stay in touch!
3. Your computer will then take you to a new screen that looks like the one below. Here is where you should see Whole New Mom added to your list. You can also choose to add other favorite fan pages to your list here by clicking the “Pages” link on the upper left side.
After clicking on the “Pages” link you will be able to see all of the pages that you “like” and you will be able to select whatever other pages you would like to add to your list.
When you are done making whatever changes you would like to your new list, click the “Done” button in the bottom right corner.
4. Your computer will now take you to the following page where you can name your new list. You might wish to name it something like “Whole Foodies” or “Favorite Blogs (that’s where Whole New Mom goes, right :-)?), or “Gluten Free Blogs”.
You can also choose your privacy settings here. If you are wanting to share your Favorites list with anyone, leave it Public. If you only want Friends on Facebook to see your list, choose “Friends”, etc.
When you are done, click on the “Done” buttonat the bottom right corner of your screen.
5. Your list is created now – congratulations!
Now….Go back over to your home page on Facebook. That’s what you see when you log in.
Look at the left hand side of your screen for a section called “Interests”. It should have the name of your New List under it.
It can be a little tricky to find this, but just scroll down your Facebook page and look for it. On my page, it was below the “Favorites”, “Pages and Ads”, “Groups”, “Friends” and “Apps” sections.
In fact, I had to click on this “MORE” section in order to see it:
6. If all has gone well (and I hope it has :-)!), now you will see that Facebook has moved your New List to the top of your Facebook page under your “Favorites” section.
I know this tech stuff can be perplexing so feel free to leave a comment if you have any issues.
And a big thank you to two other great bloggers, Kelly of The Nourishing Home and Jessica of Delicious Obsessions, for being huge helps in getting this post done. I’d read several other blogs pointing out the problems about the new Facebook changes, but Kelly’s Facebook tutorial and Jessica’s tutorial as well were particularly helpful for making it easy for readers navigate the changes were superior to all of the others I had seen.
Give them a visit and check out their great blogs!
I look forward to seeing more of you on Facebook and around the blog as well!
And of course, you can also keep in touch by subscribing to my RSS feed or my email newsletter so that you don’t miss a post. If you are worried about your email clutter, set up an email filter for posts from me and related emails will all go to a specific folder and you can read them at your convenience. Nice, huh?
Were you aware of Facebook’s policy change?
Had you noticed that you weren’t keeping in touch with pages you had “liked”?