It’s been awhile since I first posted my Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe.
It is, for sure, the easiest way to make coconut milk that you can find, but it did leave a little something to be desired.
Well, thanks to one of my super duper ingenius readers, I have a fabulous update for you!
Read on for the details :-). You’ll be glad that you did.
We love coconut milk around here.
For me, my original Coconut Milk Recipe was just fine.
I mean, what can be easier than blending some dried unsweetened coconut with some plain water?
No need really to strain through a nut milk bag or strainer.
And really, this super busy mom really can’t deal with buying a whole coconut, splitting it open, and then blending and straining the contents. Maybe once in awhile for a fun homeschool project, but not on a regular basis.
But if you read the comments on my original coconut milk recipe post, you will see that some readers weren’t thrilled with the final product being a little grainy.
For me, if I blend the mixture on high in my Vitamix for 3 minutes (of course, any high speed blender will do), I really found that the graininess wasn’t a big deal, but there was quite a bit of residue in the bottom of my jar in the fridge.
Since I’m so
cheap frugal, I would just stir it up before serving and call it good.
And then I would just add more filtered water to the stuff at the bottom of the jar and use it in a recipe or make a smoothie out of it.
Sure, it’s not as “amazingly thick and creamy” as the expensive stuff in the stores, but then, when you are saving something like 90% off the price, I can deal with a little graininess, you know?
Well, one of my readers shared something this past month that made the “Easiest Coconut Milk Recipe” just a tad less easy but a whole lot better.
So I am sharing that with you today.
A much creamier coconut milk for you and yours.
One reader even shared with me that she was having troubles with her coconut milk separating out a bit in her morning coffee, but since she started using this method, it wasn’t doing that anymore and she was really thrilled.
Easiest Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe
Makes 5 cups
1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut (use less if needed to meet your dietary needs)
water to make 5 cups of coconut milk (I really recommend reading Is Your Water Safe?)
Sweetener (optional. If using, add a dash of salt as well.)
1. This is the new step: Grind the coconut in your blender or spice grinder until fairly finely ground. (I love this coffee grinder. I think you get a better grind in this than in the blender.)
2. Add 1 cup of water to the ground coconut in a high powered blender (like Vitamix) and blend on high for 1 minute.
3. Add water to make 5 cups of coconut milk. Blend on high for 3 minutes.
4. Enjoy and store in the refrigerator.
If you really want to make this smoother, you can strain it through a nut bag or cheesecloth. I don’t bother doing that. When it gets thick I just add some more filtered water and stir it up. We’re pretty use to “not perfect” coconut milk now :).
How to Use Coconut Milk
- In recipes as a dairy free alternative, if you are dairy allergic, vegan, or just plain out of milk
- In a smoothie
- Plain – my son LOVES coconut milk with some stevia extract or my Liquid Vanilla Stevia
- Make frozen coconut milk ice cubes and add them to your favorite drinks so they aren’t diluted by regular ice cubes. This is great in coffee or tea.
- Over hot or cold cereal (we love it over my Baked Oatmeal / Oatmeal Cake)
More Super Fast Whole Food Pantry Staples:
- Powdered Egg Replacer (compare to Ener-G)
- Powdered Sugar Substitute
- Easiest Almond Milk Ever
- Homemade Rice Milk
- Homemade Nut or Seed Butter
- Homemade Coconut Butter
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Best Cinnamon Sugar
How do you use Coconut Milk?