Why would one want to make celery salt, you ask? And how do you use it?
Well, before you just move on from this post thinking, “What’s so great about celery salt?”
I’m sure you’ll find something you’ll like.
The reasons you might want to make your own celery salt are:
1. Control over your ingredients
2. Save money (remember, Homemade Seasoning Blends always cost a TON less than buying them pre-blended)
3. You just can’t get enough of “Make Your Own” stuff
4. You are craving my Special Seasoning Popcorn (you know, the totally addictive stuff) and you don’t have any celery salt in the house .
Now, about #1.
What? You mean there’s more in celery salt than just celery and salt? Well, yes and no.
Of course, unless you are buying specialty celery salt, then the salt in your celery salt could have any of the following in it:
- sodium silicoaluminate (ugh – aluminum??)
- dextrose (why is there sugar in salt??)
- sodium bicarbonate
Homemade Celery Salt
Makes approximately 1/2 cup
1/4 cup celery seed
1/4 cup salt (I recommend Real Salt)
1. Put celery seed in grinder (I use this great cuisinart grinder - I love it because the grinding cup is removable and can even go in the dishwasher!)
2. Grind celery seed to desired consistency.
3. Mix with salt.
1. You can also use kosher (coarse) salt. Just use twice as much salt and grind it together with your celery seed.
2. Celery Seed has a super long shelf life – so you can go ahead and buy it in bulk. Whole spices typically have very long shelf lives, while ground ones are different.
How to Use Celery Salt
1. Of course, you really have to try my Surprisingly Good Popcorn Seasoning | All Purpose Seasoning. It’s loaded with celery salt. You’ll love it. Guaranteed!
2. Use as a seasoning anywhere you might use salt (just not in baked goods !) Think – baked potatoes, vegetables, sausage, dips, soups, etc. It’s especially good for dishes like cold salads (egg, potato, pasta, etc.)
3. In some areas of the U.S. it is used as a hot dog topping (I’ve read it is a must on Chicago Hot Dogs)! (We buy only the no antibiotic, no nitrate hot dogs when we do buy them !
4. Have a recipe that calls for celery but don’t have any? Save a trip to the store and use celery salt. Just make sure to cut back on the amount of salt you add to the recipe. Substituting this way saves tons of time and money!
5. Beverages. Celery Salt is typically used in Bloody Marys (I’ve never had one, but….) and it’s a great seasoning to add to vegetable juices.
Bet you had no idea there were so many ways to use celery salt. I sure had fun digging up these ideas and will be using it more as a result.
More Homemade Pantry Items:
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (a must for this time of year as fall rushes in)
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Mild Curry Powder
- Best Cinnamon Sugar
- Powdered Egg Replacer (compare to Ener-G)
- Herbes de Provence (this is a key ingredient for one of our favorite popcorn toppings)
Do you use celery salt? If so, how?
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer here.
Shared at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs.