Did you perhaps misread the title of my post?
No, you didn’t.
And it isn’t me who is giving you this advice.
It is your government.
And what does this have to do with chickens? Read on.
Basically, for a long time, but seemingly at a much more feverish pace over the past few weeks, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been in the news for
- threatening companies that sell natural products
- seizing natural products from manufacturers and
- threatening natural care practitioners with seizure, injunction, and financial penalties.
- threatening to ban supplements
And at the same time, this same FDA is encouraging us to continue eating arsenic-laced chicken.
Yes, you heard right.
I could write a whole bunch about all of this, but I am going to try to just give you a summary and a link to the sources so you can go read them for yourself. Hang on through the whole post. It’s quite a ride!
First, if you want to see what else the FDA has been up to – see these posts:
- Mothers in Jail | Parental Rights, the Government and Medicine
- FDA Poised to Ban Supplements in the US
- Mother Threatened with Jail for Planting Vegetables
What the FDA Says is Unsafe
1. Elderberry Juice – The FDA seized elderberry juice from Wyldewood Cellars in Peck, Kansas since they claim that the company markets the product as being able to cure or treat disease. And why is elderberry juice so dangerous?:
Products with unapproved disease claims are dangerous because they may cause consumers to delay or avoid legitimate treatments,” said Dara A. Corrigan, the FDA’s associate commissioner for regulatory affairs.
I don’t know about you, but just because someone tells me that elderberry juice might help me with an ailment doesn’t mean that I won’t seek out another treatment if I feel that I should. What is the FDA going to do next? Make me take medicine that I don’t want? You can read more about the situation on this ABC affiliate’s website.
2. Probiotics – U.S. Marshals went into the UAS Laboratories‘ (manufacturer of probiotics) plant and seized probiotics and labels. I spoke to UAS’ owner’s wife (Mrs. S.K. Dash) directly and she told me that there was no advance warning, no phone call, no letter. Just a warrant and the seizure. And why are probiotics so dangerous? According to Natural Products Insider:
While an initial statement from FDA did not give the exact claims it takes issue with, FDA said the products claim to treat or prevent colds, flu, respiratory infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), yeast infections, ulcers and high cholesterol.
3. Thermography – I am not a total Dr. Mercola fan, but this makes me mad. The FDA is threatening all sorts of things against Mercola, who is arguably one of the most successful alternative health practitioners in the U.S. The FDA explains the reason for these threats as being essentially the same as in the above case. Mercola states on his website that thermography is a good way to detect medical problems and may be better than traditional methods. (See the FDA’s warning letter.)
The article in Gaia-Health is informative and discusses what might be the Fed’s motivation in all of this.
What the FDA Says is Safe
Arsenic in Chickens, Arsenic in You and Arsenic-Laced Chicken Poop Being Fed to Cows – OK. I am so done with letting my family eat conventional meat now. I was being a bit lenient with it at potlucks until now, but no more.
The basics are that for years the FDA has known that arsenic-laced feed was being given to chickens. The argument was that the arsenic would all come out in their poop. Now they have discovered that it is not so.
The FDA and the National Chicken Council also say that the arsenic present in the tainted chicken is in such a small amount that it is safe to eat even though it is a carcinogen. Ugh.
To their credit, the company who manufactures the feed has agreed to pull the feed off the market, but there is no telling how much of it is left (still being fed to chickens on a farm near you??). In addition, according to the AP,:
Scott Brown of Pfizer Animal Health’s Veterinary Medicine Research and Development division said the company also sells the ingredient in about a dozen other countries. He said Pfizer is reaching out to regulatory authorities in those countries and will decide whether to sell it on an individual basis.” (http://www.usatoday.com/money/indus…)
Not good enough for us, but maybe good enough for others??
Here are a few more interesting (and troubling) facts:
Uh, I don’t know if you agree with me or not, but I think it’s possible that some natural things that God has provided us with in nature might actually cure and treat illness. And I would prefer that the government not tell me what I can and cannot take.
Check out my post on How Our Family Avoided Antibiotics to see one example of natural products and how they helped us.
Now, to be clear, all of this does not mean that I am:
- anti-pharmaceuticals or
I am, however, advocating that both should be held accountable for their actions. And we are the ones to do it.
Pharmaceuticals shouldn’t be dosed out willy-nilly to people. People need to change their lifestyles to impact their health; not depend on a drug to clean up a mess while they continue making the mess. For example, you can’t just eat tons of sugar and take diabetes drugs and call it even.
Seems to me that Pfizer and the FDA have their priorities mixed up. Arsenic in chicken feed is OK | Probiotics are not. Go figure.
Worse than that, the FDA is paid by you and me in the form of taxes. That being so, they work for us. So…
What can you do about it?
- Phone: 1-888-463-6332 (their main number)
- Direct Phone to FDA Director, Margaret Hamburg: 301-796-5000. The phone is answered by staff members, so you can tell her exactly what you think.
- Mail: Food and Drug Administration, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20993-0002
- E-mail: The FDA does not provide an e-mail address for contact.
- E-mail the Director: However, Gaia-Health has tracked down an AOL e-mail for her and it appears to be live. You might try contacting her at email@example.com.
- You can also send comments to local and national newspapers or other news media.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.
Please spread the word. If we do nothing, then we deserve the government that we get.